Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation Inc.
Director of Planned Giving
A key member of the development process, the Director of Planned Giving is responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of prospects and existing donors for planned gifts on behalf of Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation, Inc.
Is responsible for creating an overall development strategy for the Foundation, pertaining
to planned giving, implementing both traditional and innovative fund raising strategies;
is expected to administer her/her own portfolio of individual gift prospects as well as
working with the CEO and Director of Major Gifts portfolio. This includes researching
donor files both hard copy and data driven. Must also be able to manage various clerical
components as related to the job position. The Director will provide leadership regarding
methods of application and design to appropriate members of the Board and other
The position reports directly to the President/CEO & Trustee of the Foundation and works
closely with his/her peers as well as marketing & communications and development data
systems to create a sophisticated and interconnected development strategy.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete a minimum of 100 contacts per fiscal year of which 25% must be new
contacts each year. Maintain active stewardship relations with donors
- Manage a portfolio of leadership gift prospects
- Collaborate with the CEO in the coordination of the annual planned giving
- Prepare planned giving proposals and add appropriate contact information into the
Notes section of Raiser’s Edge donor software.
Main Focus: Professional Advisor’s Network.
- Continuously communicate with the membership via all communication options,
website, phone, notes, and visits
- Develop three PAN CEU meetings for membership and all the components related
to the event
- Deliver new PAN membership certificates
- Oversee the PAN website content and update with communications as appropriate
- Make calls on the PAN members, creating a close relationship
Lunch with a Doc program
- Coordinate with the CEO and Director of Major Gifts quarterly Lunch with a Doc
luncheon with a featured physician speaker.
- Arrange speaker, identify invitees
- Participate in management team planning and implementation
- Ensure all data and information pertaining to Foundation donors is kept
confidential, per HIPPA laws and the Donor Bill of Rights
- Extract data and create individual reports in Raiser’s Edge
- Prepare management reports on development efforts for internal tracking and
analysis as well as for external use as approved and appropriate.
- Assist in compiling data for various public uses
- Work with CEO to set appropriate goals for planned giving
Position Description – Personal and Professional Qualifications
- A minimum of 7 years of consistent employment in fundraising, including a
demonstrated success in planned and major gift solicitation
- Must have clear understanding of various planned giving vehicles, the law and the
appropriateness of those in relation to the Foundation
- Must have integrity, intelligence, a passion for planned giving, good energy level
and ability to work as a team player
- Willingness to travel as appropriate
- Ability to quickly familiarize with and a commitment to the mission and vision of
Sarasota Memorial Healthcare Foundation
- Successful track record in designing and implementing a planned giving program
- Must possess the knowledge to use fund raising support systems such as PG Calc
(or other) and Raiser’s Edge software programs
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written a must, especially grammar.
- Ability to organize, motivate and garner support
- A baccalaureate degree is required. Must subscribe to the AHP, AFP Standards of
Ethics and the Donor Bill of Rights
Note: There is no administrative assistant directly reporting to this position. The DPG
will have the support of certain clerical staff as it fits into their schedules in providing
support to other staff members as well as the support and collaboration of all staff
members as necessary and appropriate.
Application Procedure: Send cover letter and resume to MaryBeth@MBJGroup.com by July 12, 2012.